This site is all about the coming anti-ageing and rejuvenation treatments, but so far only few are commercially available and they are not very effective yet. Nevertheless there are many things you can already do to make a longer, healthy life much more likely. Even without new inventions the following lifestyle changes can add up to 14 years of additional healthy living2:
- Exercise. Ideally you exercise over an hour a day. But don’t be discouraged by that ideal amount: every minute helps.
- Sleep. You probably need to sleep 7-9 hours per night.
- Eating well. Eat fewer calories, less carbohydrates, more protein. Fewer grains and more fruits and vegetables.
- Keep an eye on your mental health. Find professional help if you experience persistent anxiety or unhappiness.
- Stop smoking if you smoke. It will be a while before we can undo that amount of damage.
- Avoid risky activities and situations, including traffic. Every mile less travelled reduces your risk of dying in a car crash.
This list is directly related to the top causes of premature death in the developed world1:
- Heart attacks, strokes and other diseases of the heart and blood circulation system
- Chronic lung diseases
- Car crashes