There are currently only very few commercially available rejuvenation treatments and they are not very effective yet. There are nevertheless many things you can already do to make a longer and healthier life much more likely. A healthy lifestyle can add up to 14 years of additional living and improve the quality of those years2. The most important things to do are:
- Exercise. Ideally you exercise over an hour a day, but don’t be discouraged by that ideal amount: every minute helps.
- Eat well. Eat fewer calories, fewer carbohydrates, more protein, fiber, fruits and vegetables.
- Sleep. You probably need 7-9 hours of sleep per night to be healthy.
- Keep an eye on your mental health. Get professional help if you experience persistent anxiety or unhappiness.
- Take all the supplements that have been shown to be safe and likely to improve your health. These are not a replacement for the previous points though: getting each of those in order is more beneficial than all supplements combined.
- Stop smoking if you smoke. It will be a while before we can undo that amount of damage.
- Avoid risky activities and situations, including traffic. Every mile less travelled reduces your risk of dying in an accident. Of course this needs to be weighed against a comfortable and happy life, but try to be mindful of what can be avoided easily.
This list is directly related to the top causes of premature death in the developed world1:
- Heart attacks, strokes and other diseases of the heart and blood circulation system
- Chronic lung diseases
- Car crashes